April 4, 2013

Unusual companions

Every day I drive on River Road, and almost every day, I see a herd of deer and a flock of wild turkeys. Why is this blog-worthy, you might ask? Because they are always together! It's very odd. I've never seen anything like it. 

Here look. I circled the turkeys for you.
(sorry for the junk pic, it's hard to take a good shot while driving...)

Whether they are on the hill above the road or in the marshy area below the road, they are together. 

How long has this been happening? Why does it happen? Does wild turkey taste better than farm turkey? What is the meaning of life? These are the questions I ask myself whenever I see them. 

We may never know.

1 comment:

zachary said...

Two dissimilar animal-types will commonly share a feeding ground and each will capitalize on the other animals predator-detection skills. In this case I'll bet the birds are exploiting the deers superb hearing.