June 6, 2012

New neighbor

Walked out into the garage at my new place last night...almost stepped on this:

I saw it move and managed to miss it...and then ran whimpering in the other direction. I thought it was a scorpion! It's hard to tell in the picture but it was about 2.5 inches long. Eek!

I went back to look (and luckily had my phone) and got a picture. Not a scorpion turns out. No pincers. I have been informed by my dad and brother that it is a Wind Scorpion. Which is not actually a scorpion. I have no clue. Just nod along. They are not poisonous but apparently have a really nasty bite so i'm glad I didn't step on it!

Needless to say, I will be treading more carefully from now on.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What!!! You moved to a new place?? Who would know - you never blog anymore! Please...more info on your goings on!

Jayne said...

Ew!
I've neve seen one of those at my house before. sheesh Kate, what kind of a neighborhood did you move in to?

;)

Kate Kepsel said...

It's a rough neighborhood! My neighbors two houses down are especially troublesome ;-)

And i'm not sure who you are Anon, but I will try and blog more often! :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I NEED your blogs...I am sad when deprived of your goings on. I am a true admirer.

Jayne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate Kepsel said...

Ha! Jayne you took that down quick ;-) It's for sure a Wind Scorpion/Sunspider: http://www.itsnature.org/ground/creepy-crawlies-land/sunspiderwind-scorpion/

Kate Kepsel said...

If it had been a Jerusalem Cricket I would've called Animal Control ;-) Those suckers are huge!!! http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/trollquality/jerusalem01438.jpg