January 19, 2011

Getting There

I love maps. Always have. I used to study the family atlas for hours. Maybe it stems from being home schooled and mom always having maps on the walls.

I especially love old maps. Aren't they cool? I love seeing how differently people saw the world.

My love of maps has turned into a love of directions (might also have something to do with being a control freak...who knows). I map everything. Google Maps is my friend. I am one of those people who knows how to get there before ever leaving the house, with two alternate routes just in case. I am also one of those people who gets seriously annoyed when stuck behind someone who has no idea where they are going. I apologize if I have ever honked and yelled at you. But MAP IT!

Whoa. Did you know you could have road rage while sitting in front of a computer? It's official.

Anyway, funny story concerning my mapping OCD. I have a bit of dyslexia with numbers. Any of you have that? It's strange. No clue why, but I see numbers backwards all the time.

Turns out that is bad when reading directions...

My dad and I were headed to a friend's MMA fight last weekend and I had it all mapped out. I repeatedly assured Dad that we were to get off on exit 248. He repeatedly commented that that exit was really far off still, was I sure?

I decided to humour my paranoid old pops and check again. Um, yeah. Exit 284.

We got there. Nick won. Let's just forget the drive down shall we?

3 comments:

Camille said...

I don't know Katie... I have tried following you before... With your dad in my car commenting.... Funniest car ride ever :)

Kate said...

Oh my goodness. We can't talk about that trip. Google let me down big time! I had a printed out map and my iPhone map app, and that's what happened!I followed those directions perfectly...in circles. It was tragic.

You just hush up skinny girl.

Jayne said...

Hey, we really had some lovely round-about tours of random towns on that trip, and we have you to thank! We would have only seen towns once if we had had real directions, and you can't really take in the scenery with only one pass, right? Just think of the things we would have missed!