November 24, 2010

A product of my upbringing

I grew up listening to classic rock.

My favorite band is Led Zeppelin. I adore AC/DC and the Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd.

I could not live with out Simon and Garfunkel, Seals and Crofts or Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Steely Dan, The Moody Blues and Peter Gabriel.

And there was always music on when I was young. My dad likes it loud. I sure hope the neighbors liked classic rock too...

As a result, when in college, when I had to find and recite a poem in class, I knew exactly which poem I was doing. I'd had it memorized for years. I love this poem.

My professor looked at me a bit funny...I think he was expecting Tennyson or Poe.

Breathe deep the gathering gloom,
Watch lights fade from every room.
Bedsitter people look back and lament,
Another day's useless energy spent.
Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,
Lonely man cries for love and has none.
New mother picks up and suckles her son,
Senior citizens wish they were young.
Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
Removes the colours from our sight.
Red is grey and yellow white.
But we decide which is right.
And which is an illusion.

Gold star for whomever can tell the class where this is from :-)

4 comments:

Levi said...

sounds moody.

Sue said...

Yes, an easy one for us classic rock lovers. Makes you feel a little Blue and Moody.

karla said...

I know, I know!That band from the 70's.....Take A Long Trip? NO. Oh yea, Journey.

Kate said...

Gold stars for Levi and Aunt Sue...Mom, just sad ;-)