August 24, 2010

Trying my hand...

A couple of months ago I was talking with my friend about her wedding preparations. She was telling me about the invitations she was looking at. They were the very typical Utah invitations that everyone is doing right now...and I may of yelled PLEASE NO!! quite loudly.

Then before I knew it these words came out of my mouth.

"I can design invitations for you. No problem whatsoever. And it will be cheaper for my printer to do them."

I love design but I am in no way a pro. I'm still learning and I'm not sure why I thought I could create someones WEDDING invitations. They are kind of a big deal.

It was so scary!!!

First of all it's really scary to create something and then send it out and not know if it will be liked. What if everyone says it's crap?

THEN, it's really scary to send it to the printer. What if it gets messed up? What if i didn't lay it out correctly? What if she hates them once they are printed (that happened to my friend who is the printer). The wedding would be ruined. RUINED. And it would be all my fault.

So with all of this on my mind, I sent her something like 15 designs to look at. I figured if I sent a million maybe she would like at least one. And she did!

So we tweaked it and tweaked it some more and changed everything six times and then it was ready for print. Scary.


I suggested that she use black envelopes (thank you Brittany) and she did and they looked so elegant. I also told her to go to the post office and buy all the purple love stamps she could. They looked so pretty on the black. Her colors were bright pink and orange with purple accents. They looked amazing all together. I printed them on a beautiful paper that had a pearlescent type finish. They were just so pretty. I was a bit giddy when i saw them finished.


Then another engaged friend who saw the invites asked me to do hers! Her wedding is really soon so i didn't have much time to work on them but she sent me some she liked and i whipped these puppies out. Still fun and still scary.


It's actually pretty scary to put them on this blog for people to see! But I'm just so excited!

Hopefully more people will want help with invites so i can practice and get better!

4 comments:

BUSH BABE said...

WOW. Those are awesome. New career coming up!
:-)
BB

Levi said...

Very nice work, Katie! Those look awesome!

Amanda said...

The top one is SO beautiful. You know.. .come to think of it my invites were the one thing I would have changed for my wedding. I'm officially blaming you for my lack of invite beauty since you had this amazing talent. ha. No more guilt on my part ;).
Would you be willing to do 3 year old birthday invitations?

Kate said...

Thanks BB and Levi!

And sorry Amanda, i don't think i was talented when you got married :-) but i would LOVE to do 3 yr old birthday invites! Is there a theme? Colors you want? Fun!!!