March 25, 2010

Bacon Brainteaser

Anyone know what happened here?

I cooked some bacon and poured the drippings into a glass to use for eggs some other time. I put the glass in the fridge. I went back to the fridge a while later and found this:

Weird right? And it broke cleanly. Straight around. And why did the top fall off? Why didn't it crack and then just sit there? My mom saves bacon drippings all the time and this never happens...

It's a mystery.

But I'm guessing someone smarter than I will solve it rather quickly.

4 comments:

bilsabab said...

You put the glass in the fridge while the bacon grease was still very hot. So it kept the glass around it warm. The glass not touching bacon grease cooled much faster and contracted. It contracted so much that there was a clean break in the glass, and the force of it probably caused it to topple.

Let the bacon grease cool to room temperature next time before putting it in the fridge.

Kimberly Job said...

I really have no idea, but just wanted to say hi! I found you from the link on Goodreads. :)

www.scribbledscraps.blogspot.com

Kate said...

Thanks Eric, i'll wait next time :-)

Hi Kimberly! Thanks for coming by. Your blog is so cute and i'm excited to start reading your book reviews :-)

Kristen said...

Hi, I am visiting from Good Reads. I save bacon grease,too, but I use a ceramic mug and I usually let it cool a bit before it hits the fridge. That is an amazing photo...I don't envy your having to clean it up!!