February 18, 2010

Slugs and Shrooms

This is LONG overdue, sorry Aunt Sue.

Last fall I was out visiting lovely Oregon and my family there and Aunt Sue and I went for a little hike in the woods. If you know anything about Utah or Oregon you will know that they are on completely different planets when it comes to trees and other green things. This is due to water. Oregon has it. Utah does not.

So anyway, we managed to drag ourselves away from sweet baby Jacob for a bit and headed out into the damp.


As many times as I've been there is still takes my breath way. So green and lush.

So different from the sage brush and scrub oak that I see every day.

They also have slugs and mushrooms in abundance. Both of which turned out to be very photogenic!

And look! They hang out right by each other. They are friends. It's a little know fact that slugs and mushrooms are always good friends. Similar personalities maybe? I don't know.


Not sure of the types of mushrooms but the slugs are called Banana Slugs and they get really big. It's about the grossest thing ever to step on one at night in your bare feet in the lawn. I just threw up in my mouth a little.



Kinda pretty markings though eh?

And here are some pretty mushrooms. Not sure if these are edible but a lot of them are in Oregon. I tried a couple different ones but don't really remember what happened after that. It's a bit fuzzy...like in a dream...i may of been flying...





Ready for my least favorite, favorite photo? If you didn't already know it...i hate spiders. I mean i respect their job in the world and thank them for eating pesky bugs, but they can stay away from me please.

This very industrious spider was building this huge web just off the trail. It was rather beautiful. I just couldnt get a good angle to catch the web... Do you see the big ole spider on the right hand side of the web?

Here is a better (freakier) shot of it.

It kinda looks like a massive and deadly spider descending from it's spaceship in sky and landing on the tree so that it can kill all the humans and take over the world right? Right? Maybe it's just me. Made me think of Shelob. Shivers.

3 comments:

BUSH BABE said...

Great, great photos Kate!!! I adore mushrooms... and I don't mind LOOKING at spiders even. But that lush ferny forest - divine!!!
:-)
BB

Kate said...

I was just laughing when i realized that my "huge" spider is about the size of the little toe of the spiders in your neck of the woods :-)I have no room to complain!

karla said...

I am excited to be going to Oregon next week. Trion Park is a must to visit - you can feel the green. Oh, I need that so bad right now.