February 26, 2009

This is embarrassing...

Do you all know that song by Bruce Springsteen, Blinded by the Light? Actually Manfred Mann's version is the one that is played the most often, but i digress. For years now I've listened to and sung along with this song, always wondering what the very odd lyrics meant.

Here's what I've been singing:

Madman mozart,
something something something with a teenage diplomat
In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into something
With a boulder on my shoulder,
feelin' kinda older,
I tripped the merry-go-round

With this very unpleasin',
sneezin' and wheezin,
the calliope crashed to the ground
The calliope crashed to the ground

But she was...
Blinded by the light,
wrapped up like a douche,
another roamer in the night

And here's what the actual lyrics are:

Madman drummers bummers,
Indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat
In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into his hat
With a boulder on my shoulder,
feelin' kinda older,
I tripped the merry-go-round

With this very unpleasin',
sneezin' and wheezin,
the calliope crashed to the ground
The calliope crashed to the ground

But she was...
Blinded by the light,
revved up like a deuce,
another runner in the night

I'm sure you can see the difference. It really is embarrassing that I've been saying douche for the last 15 years and that i just thought they were quirky lyrics. It honestly just dawned on me yesterday to look up the lyrics. Maybe i was just living in a dream world...but the calliope has crashed to the ground.

4 comments:

Sue said...

You must have thought The Boss was a real perv to be singing about a douche! However, I never figured out what "rewed up like a deuce" meant. I think someone was "trippin" when they wrote that song. But it has a good beat.

On another song topic. Chris Martin from Coldplay was asked what the song "Yellow" was about and he said "I have no idea". And he wrote it!

Aunt Sue

karla said...

You crack me up!! Being your momma is such a happy thing-to-be!
We've ALL been singing about a douche then wondering 'huh'?
Cudos(?)to you for looking it up:)

The Wageman Clan said...

So funny! Those kind of things always make me laugh. Usually it's me singing the wrong lyrics.

Mom L said...

Don't worry - I've also sung it as "douche!!" My daughter (d/iowa) would cringe. She's had fits over the years as I misunderstood several lyrics! Some of it is generational - I remember hearing about a young thing who thought Jimmy Buffet stepped on a "pop tart" because she was too young to remember the pull-off pop tops!

Nancy in Atlanta